Humana’s new Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) report highlights the company’s unique commitment to helping people achieve lifelong well-being through its Healthy People, Healthy Planet, Healthy Performance CSR platform.
The report, released April 17, shares significant achievements including an 8 percent reduction in energy use, receiving LEED Commercial Interiors Certification at Humana offices in Tampa Bay, Fla., and launching a 150 data-point employee well-being scorecard.
It also showcases Humana’s commitment to promoting associate participation in a variety of volunteer opportunities, which support the company’s efforts to help its associates and the members and communities it serves live healthier lives.
Humana’s continuing efforts to promote lifelong well-being include examples such as:
- Humana Helps, a program for people wanting to learn more about the Affordable Care Act and how to get covered, with partners including CVS/pharmacy and YMCA of the USA
- HumanaVitality, an incentive-based wellness and rewards program that rewards healthy behaviors like preventative screenings, smoking cessation, exercise, and blood donation
- Working with KaBOOM!, a nonprofit that helps to create safe and active play spaces for America’s children, to build more than 50 playgrounds in underserved neighborhoods by the end of 2014
- The Humana Legacy Program, a partnership of the Humana Foundation and Big Brothers Big Sisters of Kentuckiana, to create an intergenerational mentoring program that pairs adults 55+ with children
The report looks ahead as well as taking a look back at achievements. For example, it acknowledges that climate change poses a serious challenge to the planet and impacts the health and well-being of those Humana serves. As a result, Humana has set goals it intends to accomplish by the end of 2015, including:
- Reduce annual energy consumption by 5 percent;
- Decrease greenhouse gas emissions by 5 percent; and
- Increase landfill diversion to 40 percent of the waste stream
“At its core, our business is about partnering with people to help them achieve their best health. Inspiring health is one of our values,” said Humana President and CEO Bruce Broussard. “This report illustrates how our CSR endeavors – from associate engagement to greenhouse gas emissions reductions – connect with Humana’s work to promote lifelong well-being. Our 2012-2013 CSR Report provides the foundation for us to take bigger, broader, more impactful actions going forward.”
To learn more about Humana’s Healthy People, Healthy Planet, Healthy Performance platform, check out the just-released 2012-2013 Humana Corporate Social Responsibility Report.